Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Single Parenting

Well I have a new pet peeve. It is people who think they are better than everyone else just because they were raised with both biological parents.

I have raised my daughter, most of her life, by myself. Yes, I made mistakes but that don't mean I am a bad parent. It makes me human.

In this day and age, you can't find a single person who doesn't have a child or at least been married at least once that is over 25. In some cases younger. Our society has made it so simple to get a divorce that people don't try to make a marriage last. I actually had a friend who made sure that they didn't word it for better or worse, sicker or poorer, until death do you part in her wedding vows. She explained to me that was too much of a contract for her to give her life for a man. UGH!!!!!!!! Tammy was raised by both her biological parents and said that she saw how much her mom was such a subordinate to her father and didn't want that for herself. Tammy made her marriage last for a whole 5 yrs (longer than most these days) but got divorced because she wanted a life and not just live through her husband. Tammy and I both agree that men and women are equals and there for should be partners. Not one that is more superior than the other. We are not living in the 40-50's when June Cleaver made sure her husband had the meal on the table when he walked in the door saying Honey I am home. We are now in the age when microwaves work, restaurants are always open, there is a TV in almost every room and both parents have to work to pay the bills.

The main purpose of this blog is to say:

1. Every person is an equal. No matter what your sex, no matter your skin tone, and no matter if you were raised by one parent, a grand-parent, 2 parents, or an orphanage.

2. Just because you have 2 parents (biological or otherwise) doesn't mean you are better than anyone else. You just had two people to help raise you. And sometimes that isn't even true.

3. Don't judge a book by how they look, how they were raised, who raised them, where they live(d), their income or anything else like that. Just accept people for who they are as an individual. Good or bad, accept who they are.

4. Assuming the worst about a person before you get to know the person is wrong.

Well, I am done venting for the day.

2 comments:

Mom of 3 boys said...

Well said...I could not have said it any better myself....Everything that you blogged is so true.....If only the world saw it like this, it would have fewer problems....I was a single parent for most of my kids lives, ever when I was married to there sperm donor, he was never there and when he was it was WWIII....plus being raised by my grandparents doesn't make me less of a person than someone with a mom and a dad...sometimes those kids turn out worse than us....because maybe the mom and dad are only staying together for the kids sake...when that only hurts them even more than if they were divorced....and yes I have remarried and we are the nuclear family now...but does that make things any better...no sometimes it makes things harder because when I was a single parent...it was me who made all the decision and the mistakes.. I only had myself to blame for when things didn't go right...but now i have this other person who helps make the decisions....and that is when things get crazy....I personally think single parenting is best..that way if my kids are screw ups..then it is my fault..not the mans fault...because really men are just men they are too simple to make important decisions....

Practically Perfect In Every Way said...

that is the "Constitution of Mystiqeye". I love it and agree whole heartedly!

Married, single, or divorced, life is based on choices we make. we try as hard as we can to pass this onto our children and hope they learn. We love them and want the best for them. Struggle and sacrifice are wonderful character builders and we can not always protect our children from these necessary evils. Lessons come in strange forms sometimes.