Friday, November 16, 2007

Relationships

I was recently speaking to an old friend "Jason" that was talking about his conquests he has right now. One of the statements he made got me thinking. That comment was "I am no different in dating now then I was in high school".

Here is what I am thinking............................

That statement is somewhat true for people. The only difference in how people date in the adult years to when they are teenagers is the venue. Instead of McDonald's, a movie and then lovers lane to in the adult life you go to Steak and Ale, a show, and then back to yours/his place. I even had Jason explain the 3 date rule to me. Where as depending on how far he gets will set the stage for the next 3 dates and if there will ever be a 4th (which usually don't happen). Jason is in his late 30's, been married and divorced once, has 2 kids and one day wants to get married again but so far is look at relationships seems to keep him from it. Granted he don't have any problems getting women or even having people tell him no when he wants a "second" go at something but is that a way to live?

I have been married more than once and was cheated on very badly by my 2nd ex-husband. I haven't been out dating much since the marriage ended 7 yrs ago. I don't have to have someone to exist or to feel good about myself. Don't get me wrong I miss the being held, the being a couple part and the connection you have from a relationship but I am not one to jump in the bed with someone after just meeting them and that seems to be what I keep finding that guys expect by the so-called 3rd date.

I don't want to spend the rest of my life single (notice I didn't say alone), but I would rather be single than cheapen myself to have sex when I believe sex is more than just a freebie. I believe it is worth waiting until the relationship is mature enough to handle it.


I guess in a way I am old school. I think that the relationship has to develop before you can add intimacy of sex into the equation. Intimacy isn't just the sexual part either. Just because I don't get to the sexual part off right from the first date doesn't make me a prude. It means I want more than just that. I want true intimacy that comes from a touch, a word, a connection, or a friendship. Since I high school the dating may not have changed but my expectations have. I know what I want and expect in a relationship and I won't settle for less.

Another friend "Jessica" says I should just lower my standards and just have fun. What Jessica doesn't understand is that if I lower my standards then I will just get just that. Nothing more, nothing less, and basically nothing in a relationship.

I wrote a list one time of what I expect from a man and a relationship. There are 10 things that no matter what I won't except anything less on. The funny part is Jessica and I did these lists together and she is in a relationship she hates but don't know how to get out of because she don't want to be alone and it is very unsatisfying. When I asked did she keep to her list she said no. She had to lower expectations. So, now she is the one hurting not the guy. He is content because to Jim he didn't go lower he moved up with Jessica.


So, the purpose of this blog is....................

1. Dating is no different from high school. Just different Venues.

2. Set yourself a list of things that you will not settle less than those, how ever many, things.

3. When you settle for one thing you may be missing something right around the corner that is exactly what you are looking for in the first place.

4. Last but not least...........If you make a list don't put yourself in a position to have to settle for less. If you are an average person then it wouldn't make sense to put you want a millionaire. Be realistic to yourself and with what you want.

7 comments:

✩Molly✩ said...

Thanks for finding me. I have added you to my link list if that's okay. A few years back a set out a few standards, and they may sound simple but I knew they needed to be set. (given I was only 20 at the time)
Rule 1: He must have a job
Rule 2: He must have a car of his own
Rule 3: He must live on his own and support himself.
Rule 4: He must love movies.

And man did it make a difference in the kind of guys I would date and be around. 8 mos later I married my husband.

Mystiqeye said...

Thanks for the comments. I have 10 on my list but mine is different then most people have. At least Jessica's list included he must be well off financially. MEEEEEEEEEE money wasn't a requirement except that he is able to support his self. The rest are

2. Never abuses a person or animal.
3. Enjoys dancing (even if it is just he and I alone)
4. Accepts my daughter and now my grand-daughter as part of a package deal.
5. Doesn't mind PDA (Public displays of affection).
6. Is my best friend.
7. Is a partner in all ways. 100%/100%
8. Never goes to bed mad.
9. Has arms that are like a teddy bear.....safe and loving.
10. Works together to achieve goals and supports my personal goals as much as I support his personal goals.

So, now you see why I have such "high standards" according to my friend Jessica. I just won't accept anything besides someone who meets all of those requirements.

Mom of 3 boys said...

Excellent!!! One more important factor..you can be yourself around that person, meaning I must feel comfortable in any situation with that person....Does that make sense???

Aprilyn said...

I found your blog through someone else's blog. I too have been a single mom and my ex-husband cheated on me. He was also involved in drugs. My son was barely 3 when I got divorced. Today he is 9. He doesn't really know his "Dad" AKA Sperm Donor. I got married again when my son was 4 1/2. I wasn't really planning on ever getting married again but I found the right guy and I didn't have to lower my standards at all. We waited until we were married to have sex and you are right that intimacy is important too.

Anyway, I've rambled and my boys are fighting so I gotta go. I just wanted to let you know I've decided to tag you. Check out my blog for details.

Mystiqeye said...

Wow I think I have just added two more factors to my must have list. Doesn't do drugs and must be able to be myself with him. UHM???? I guess it will be my twelve list now.

Thanks to you all for commenting.

Aprilyn said...

I was looking for someone who was the same religion as me. My religion is very important to me. Also, I wanted someone who would make me laugh. I won his heart because I can quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Ok, so that's not the only reason but it is a plus!

I totally should have tagged you! LOL!

Oh, and I have a VERY difficult 3 yr old that stresses me out to no end. I love him but he's difficult. He's on the Autistic Spectrum and he's crying for me to hurry. He's in the bath and I think he sees a hair. That totally freaks him out. I'm glad you added me to your friends. I'll add you too!!!

Javier Marti said...

HI. Thanks for your comment about the clock in my blog. I'll send your message to the person in the company that has been dealing with me (I think he is the marketing manager) He is kind and speaks English.
No, even better still, here is his email, to make sure that you guys get to talk.
If you want to pay the favour back just mention that you saw the information in my blog, that's it. I don't get any commission but would like to do more reviews like that in the future.
His name is Roland and his email is pichler@infactory.cc